Menu Close


Whether you are a PhD student or a supervisor, you will find below the answers to questions you are likely to wonder about. If you do not find the answer to your question, go to the “Contacts” tab, where you will find the right interlocutor. 


Can a UBFC PhD student indifferently register with UFC, uB, or UTBM since they were transferred to UBFC?

No, the PhD student must register with the institution to which his/her supervisor belongs.

Can someone else that the Head of the research unit sign documents in his/her place?

When the Head of the research unit’s signature is required in the registration file or any other administrative document, only the Head of the research unit himself/herself can sign it, or someone who officially holds delegation of signature.

Are the requests for registration fee exemption and refunding dealt with by UBFC?

No, they are not. Registrations are dealt with by the different institutions, therefore their services keep on dealing with these requests.


Foreign PhD students’ procedures

Can the prefecture require a certificate of attendance to issue a residence permit?

No, it cannot. No official prefectoral document requires PhD students to enclose their certificate of attendance to have their residence permit issued/renewed. A certificate of pre-registration signed by the DS director is sufficient to have a receipt issued (the receipt is valid for 3 months). Then the residence permit will be issued on presentation of a proof of final registration, i.e. the certificate of attendance or a certificate of final registration signed by the DS director.

Which is the procedure to be followed when a student becomes a salaried PhD student?

Salaried PhD students who were students in France beforehand and therefore possess a “student” residence permit must not apply for the renewal of their “student” residence permit but must switch their status to “scientist”. They will have to produce the hosting agreement issued by their employer, and a work contract or a certificate of employment. Then they will be given a “Talent chercheur” residence permit.

What is the procedure to be followed by students whose residence permit expires before the registration period starts?

These students, who are graduates from a French higher-education institution, must apply for a Temporary Residence Permit (Autorisation Provisoire de Séjour, APS) at the prefecture. The APS will mention “Student searching for a first job” (“Etudiant à la recherche d’un premier emploi”).

The APS is a non-renewable residence permit valid one year, except for Indian nationals for whom it is valid one year and renewable once. It allows foreign students who graduated in France to search for a first job. As soon as they find a job and sign an employment contract, they must have their status changed according to their situation. The students who become salaried PhD students apply for a “scientist” residence permit based on the hosting agreement issued by the employer and on the work contract or the certificate of employment.

The APS is a legal right. It must be applied for within 2 months of the residence permit expiry, on presentation of a certificate of graduation.

Request for authorisation to register for habilitation to direct research (HDR)

Can the experts chosen by the DS to examine a request for authorisation to register be part of the jury?

Yes, they can, all the more so as specialists are scarce in certain fields. But the DS must be wary of a potential conflict of interest with the applicant.

Can a foreign co-supervisor who supervises theses within the institution without belonging to a research unit of the concerned doctoral school apply for HDR with UBFC?

Yes, he/she can, if the pre-requisites are met, and he/she at least belongs to a French research unit. The decision lies with the DS, since it is the body that handles the file.


Training courses 

How many training courses must we follow throughout our doctoral studies?

Each doctoral school defines its own compulsory number of hours spent attending training courses. Please contact the secretariat of your DS to know the minimum number of hours spent attending training courses required throughout your doctoral studies.

How many training courses can we attend?

You can attend up to 7 cross-cutting training courses per year. There is no limit concerning the training courses specific to your doctoral school or off-list training courses.

How do we proceed to have travel costs in link with training courses reimbursed?

You must contact your doctoral school to know the procedure to be followed to have your travel costs in link with training courses reimbursed.

When shall I receive my confirmation of registration letter?

You will receive your confirmation or refusal of registration letter a few days after the registration deadline.

I enrolled in a training course but I do not wish to go anymore. What must I do?

If you have already received your confirmation of registration letter, you must immediately inform the person in charge of registration about your withdrawal. Your seat will be offered to another PhD student.

If you have not received your confirmation of registration letter yet, you can cancel your application from your ADUM personal space > “Training courses” (Formations) > “Ongoing training courses” (“formations en cours”) > “Delete” “Supprimer”)

When will the hours spent in training courses be validated?

The hours you have spent in training courses will be registered as soon as you have answered the training course evaluation questionnaire.

When and how do we access the training course evaluation questionnaire?

Once the training course is over, you will receive an email asking you to fill in the training course evaluation questionnaire.

The evaluation questionnaire will be available in your ADUM personal space > “Training courses” > “Evaluation of attended training courses”.

How can I obtain the certificates of participation to the training courses I attended during my doctoral studies?

For training courses attended before September 2016, a certificate of participation was sent to you after each training course. You must keep these certificates because they will be required when you re-enroll in doctoral studies or defend your thesis.

The training courses you have attended since September 2016 are listed in your “Training course participation recap”. You must print this recap and have it signed by the director of your doctoral school to be allowed to re-enroll in doctoral studies or defend your thesis.

How can I have an off-list training course validated?

You must request for the director of your doctoral school to validate the hours spent attending an off-list training course, upon presentation of a certificate of attendance. The director of your doctoral school will decide whether to validate these hours or not.

ESM (SPIM) PhD students will have to apply for validating hours spent attending an off-list training course using the “Request for validating off-list training courses” form available on the ESM (SPIM) DS website. Once filled, this form will have to be sent to the DS secretariat, along with a proof of participation to the training course.

How can I enter an off-list training course in ADUM?

Once the director of your doctoral school has validated the hours you spent attending an off-list training course, you can enter the details (training course title, field, place, date, validated number of hours) in your ADUM personal space > “Training courses” > “Off-list training courses”. You must needs attach the certificate of attendance in pdf format.

The information will be validated by the person in charge of training courses in your doctoral school.

I am a non-UBFC PhD student and I wish to attend one of your cross-cutting training courses. What shall I do?

You must email your application to the person in charge of the training course and attach a copy of your student card, along with a certificate from your thesis supervisor allowing you to attend the course.


Thesis co-supervision

When a non-HDR co-supervision has already started, should the co-supervisor apply for non-HDR co-supervision to the CAC UBFC?

The procedure must systematically be applied to any new co-supervision, but application is not required if the co-supervision was already ongoing on 1 September 2017.


Can a thesis be co-supervised by 2 co-supervisors?

No, it cannot. The decree of 25 May 2016 stipulates that there can only be one academic co-supervisor. However, there can be a second co-supervisor if he/she does not belong to the academic world, but is an expert from the socio-economic world. If two persons apply for non-HDR co-supervision of a same thesis, it is up to the thesis supervisor to choose which of the candidates can apply, in agreement with the Head of the research unit. The second applicant’s name and his/her role in thesis supervision can be specified in the individual training agreement. If necessary, his/her contribution can be valorised with the CNU by co-signing articles with the PhD student.



Which documents must be handed to the jury on defence day, and where can I find them?

The following documents have to be handed to the jury: the defence transcript, the defence report, the note for the jury, the “Electronic filing of a thesis” form. They can be downloaded from the PhD student’s personal space once authorisation to defend has been entered (“Administrative documents” entry).

According to the procedure, the reporters designated within the framework of doctoral or HDR defence must not have any publication in common with the applicant. What does “publication in common” exactly mean?

“Publication in common” means articles in co-authorship published since the beginning of the thesis. Book chapters are not concerned if the reporter and the applicant are the authors of different chapters in a same book. This being said, it is necessary, as always, to interpret regulations with discernment and to avoid being too strict when applying them so as not to hinder the evaluation process if there is obviously no conflict of interest between the reporters and the applicant. The DS director can ask for supplementary details about past or ongoing collaborations between them. We should bear in mind that specialists are scarce in certain fields, and therefore know/collaborate with one another.


International co-supervision

Can a co-supervisor be associated to the French thesis supervisor within the framework of international co-supervision?

Yes. The restriction to 1 academic co-supervisor set by the decree of 25 May 2016 does not apply to supervisors/co-supervisors in the foreign country.